Thursday 16 September 2021

Bribie in Bloom

Springtime on Bribie is a lovely time now and has been in the past as can be seen by these two articles and photo. 

Bribie in Bloom in the 1920s and 1930s

Bribie in Bloom (1928)

In spite of human settlement, Bribie Island is still very much as Nature made it. The spring weather and warm sunshine of the past two or three weeks have transformed it into a wild garden in which the sombre green of pine trees blends with scarlet gum-tips, wattle, and white-flowering shrubs. 

To drive across the island is a delight, for the air is sweet with perfume, and the landscape is a picture. In remote places the beautiful boronia may be found in abundance - "more than the whole of Brisbane could pick," as a resident said, last Sunday - and everywhere colour leaps before the eye in vivid tones. 

There are probably few places within easy reach of the city where the nature-lover can so enjoy himself. This is the most astonishing when it is remembered that practically the whole island is composed of sand.

                                                         reference: The Brisbane Courier Tue 21.8.1928 p. 12 


Boronia from Bribie.
The Queensland Naturalists' Club held an exhibition
of wildflowers in Albert Hall. Miss D. Williams is shown
arranging a vase of Boronia from Bribie Island.

                                                    reference: The Telegraph 1.9.1934 p. 1 

Letters from Little Readers (1932)

I have just returned home from a holiday at Bribie Island; had a royal time, too. Have you ever been to Bribie, Aunt? The island looked very pretty ; it was covered with wildflowers. There were some pretty bushes all out in white flowers : people down there called them bridal bushes. I liked those the best. I do not think I had ever eaten so many fish before in all my life. We had fish for breakfast, dinner and tea. I did not try my hand at fishing, though ! 

The house I stayed at was just off the Ocean beach. I was down for a fortnight, and only went in surfing once, and that was on a dull day. If I go in on a sunny day I get sunburnt and blistered, and have to put up with sore back and shoulders. I do not think there is much fun in that, do you?

One afternoon I walked along the beach for miles, and picked up some pretty shells and seaweed. I filled up most of the time reading and sewing. I worked on an apron. Coming back to Redcliffe the sea was rough ; some of the people were seasick, but I was not. ... "Baby Mine" (15) Palmwoods.

reference: The Queenslander Thu 3.11.1932 p. 40 

REFERENCES

Bribie in Bloom. The Brisbane Courier 21.8.1928 p. 12
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21319413

Letter from Little Readers. The Queenslander 3.11.1932 p. 40 
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article23153429

Boronia from Bribie. [photo] The Telegraph 1.9.1934 p. 1
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article181374258

No comments:

Post a Comment