Happenings on Bribie in 1922
* Boomerang Pastime Club donated their takings to fund a piano for Bribie patrons and campers
* Bribie Island Progress Association 1st annual meeting
* Miss Vera Huet found a message in a bottle in the first lagoon on the ocean beach side of Bribie
* Public telephone official opening
* Water supplies available at Bongaree
* Tennis Club formed on Bribie
Boomerang Pastime Club donated their takings to fund a piano for Bribie patrons and campers
Bribie, the popular campers’ resort, has suffered severely from soaking rains, which have been the cause of many packing up their troabnes and departing. Those who have braved the hardships, though dampened in every way, still have a good spirit.
The dancing hall on Monday night was the scene of a fancy and plain dress ball, which was successfully managed under the auspices of the Boomerang Pastime Club. The takings, which amounted to £13 odd after expenses had been deducted, were divided between the Ambulance’s fund and the piano fund. The piano, which is now the property of Bribie patrons, is a pleasant addition to the pleasure of the campers.
The Q.A.T.B. and St John’s Ambulance bearers have done excellent work, which is appreciated by all.
Dances were held every evening, and the fancy dress ball for New Year’s night was eagerly looked forward to.
The thanks of the community are extended to Miss Elsie Ackworth and Eric Butler for their untiring efforts at the piano and to various others who have contributed to the evenings’ entertainments.
source: The Daily Mail (Brisbane) Tue 3 Jan 1922 p. 10 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article220532580
Bribie Island Progress Association 1st annual meeting
The first annual meeting of the Bribie Island Progress Association was held in Mr. G.P. Campbell’s office, Creek-street, last evening. The chairman (Mr. C.E. Wise), in his report, outlined the formation of the association on March 15, 1921. A general meeting had been held at Bribie on March 26, 1921, the late Mr. Page, M.H.R., being among those present. Mr. Page had been fully seized with the need for leading lights being placed so as to enable vessels to make the passage to the island in safety at night time, also with the need of telephone communication with the mainland, and had promised to assist the association in these matters. Unfortunately for the association, Mr. Page had been called to join the great majority, and his loss was mourned.
The association’s present secretary (Mr. A. Hall) had interested Senator M. Reid in their needs, and he and Mr. G.P. Campbell had promised to interview the Deputy Postmaster-General regarding the telephone. Mr. Campbell had not lost sight of the need for the proper lighting of the passage and the island. A general meeting had been called for December 26, 1921, at Bribie, but unfortunately there had been too few in attendance for a meeting to be held. The meeting had been adjourned until the following Saturday, but the weather had proved so inclement that no meeting had been held. The thanks of the association was tendered to Mr. G.P. Campbell for his courtesy in allowing the committee meetings to be held in his office, and for his ready help in all matters relating to the welfare of Bribie. Thanks were also tendered to Mr. H.H. Hamley, who, at the association’s last committee meeting, kindly offered to take certain levels in part of the township to enable the association to have correct data to work upon when further draining or leveling-up was done.
Members of the committee were also thanked for their assistance in furthering the interests of the little seaside resort known as Bribie. The following officers were re-elected:- Patron, Mr. G.P. Campbell; president Mr. C.E. Wise; vice-presidents, Messrs. T.W. Cary and C.B. Fox; secretary Mr A.T. Hall; treasurer Mr. F. Bell; committee Messrs. B. Winston, W. Reid, C.W. Campbell, F. Bell, H.H. Hamley, N. Coungeau, Robins, R.J. Davies, T.W. Cary, M. Robinson and Hill.
source: The Brisbane Courier, Tue 21 Jan 1922, p. 8 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20555469
A Message in a Bottle
On Friday last Miss Vera Huet found a bottle in the first lagoon on the main beach at Bribie. It contained a piece of paper on which was written: "Easter, 1919. Ensign. Anzac Memorial Day. Skipper R. Kenyon: crew, J.D. MacDonald, J. MacDonald, R. Burcher, A. Mannion, V. Mannion. Thrown overboard Bramble Bay, 23rd April, 1919."
source: The Brisbane Courier, Tue 7 Feb 1922, p. 4 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20540690
|Hello Bribie! Scene at Bribie at the recent inauguration |
of telephonic communication to the island.
The Daily Mail (Brisbane) 11.10.1922 p.11
Bribie Island Telephone Installed
Bribie Island was made gay yesterday with flags and streamers of red, white, and blue. Smart motor boats cruised about on the placid waters of the beautiful channel. The excursion steamer Koopa, bedecked with flags of many colours, was snugly berthed at the jetty, while hundreds of folks ashore wore joyfully celebrating the opening of telephonic communication between this historic island and the mainland.
The Koopa had brought down from Brisbane Mr. G. P. Campbell (managing director of the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Co., Ltd.) and Mrs. Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Campbell, Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Fox, Mr. and Mrs. A. Johnson, Councillor J. W. Carseldine (chairman), Councillor Zanow, and Mr. R. McPherson (clerk), of the Caboolture Shire Council, Mr. L. Thomas (manager of the Caboolture branch of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney), Mr. C. E. Wise (chairman of the Bribie Progress Association), Mr. Winston (a member of the Progress Association), Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Bell, Mrs. Colin Clark, Mr. and Mrs. McDougall (Sydney), Captain J. Johnston (master of the Koopa) and Mrs. Johnston, Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Campbell, Mr. A. E. Hall (secretary of the Bribie Progress Association), and others, who heartily joined with the residents in publicly thanking those who had worked in the interests of the seaside resort.
Mr. G. P. Campbell entertained his guests at luncheon in the fine saloon of the Koopa. The party then landed, and for the first time officially the ''tinkle-tinkle'' of a telephone bell was heard on the island. It was the signal that Mr. McConachie (Deputy Postmaster-General of Queensland) wished to speak to Mr. G. P. Campbell. ''Hello! Is that Mr. McConachie?'' said Mr. Campbell. A silence fell over people present. A minute later Mr. Campbell walked out of the telephone cabinet, and announced that Mr. McConachie had asked him to convey to the people of Bribie Island his congratulations on the successful consummation of their efforts to have the island linked up with the mainland by means of a telephone line.
Mr. G. P. Campbell called upon Councillor Carseldine to declare the telephone open to the public. Councillor Carseldine referred to the occasion as a red-letter day for Bribie Island, and pointed out the great convenience the installation would mean to the community. The Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company, he stated, had been mainly responsible for the improvement. The company had expended a good deal of money in making other improvements on Bribie Island, such as building a jetty and erecting houses, etc., and he had been assured that the money spent in such work had not returned 2 per cent in interest. The company, however, did not look at the financial side of the matter, their only idea being to make that seaside resort a very pleasant place for people to visit. As far as Bribie was concerned since the present Caboolture Shire Council had been formed, it had expended all money received from the island in the way of rates, etc., in improving the place. No local authority could do more than that for any locality.
Councillor Zanow (the representative of No. 1 Division of the Caboolture Shire Council, in which area Bribie Island is included) spoke of the fine work done by the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company in improving Bribie Island.
Mr. C. E. Wise (chairman of the Bribie Progress Association) and Mr. C. B. Fox spoke in laudatory terms of Mr. G. P. Campbell's efforts on behalf of the residents and visitors to Bribie Island.
Mr. G. P. Campbell said that whatever he had done for that seaside resort was a labour of love, and he did not want any credit for it. Another improvement contemplated was the lighting of the channel. This would enable the Koopa to be navigated to Bribie jetty at night time. Next week his company intended considering the questions of building a tramline across the island to the main beach, a distance of three miles. He hoped that within six months or eight months this tramline would be constructed.
source: The Daily Mail (Brisbane) 29 Sep 1922 p. 2 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article213218012
Water supplies available at Bongaree
Bribie's Water Supply - The hon. secretary of the Bribie Progress Association (Mr. A.T. Hall) writes:- I would like to point out that the articles appearing in this (Tuesday) morning's "Courier" might suggest that no water is available at Bribie Island, except that supplied by the Brisbane Tug Co. This is not so. For the benefit of those who intend visiting the island during the coming Christmas holidays I wish to point out that there is a very plentiful supply of water not only from the tanks which have been so generously supplied by the Brisbane Tug Co. free of cost, but from several wells on the island, which have pumps attached, giving always a bountiful quantity of water, which is not only free from any discolouration or disagreeable smell, but quite good for either drinking or cooking purposes, and compares most favourably with the tap water supplied in Brisbane.
The charges of 1d. per kerosene tin, which has been recently made, is not owing to any shortage, but to stop people from deliberately wasting the water the company has taken the trouble to supply. At 1d. per keosene tin, to equal my water rates in Brisbane I would have to consume 5376 gallons per annum, which I do not.
source: The Brisbane Courier, Thu 23 Nov 1922, p. 4 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20585470
Bribie Island Tennis Club
A tennis club has been formed here with the following officers:- Patron, Mr. G.P. Campbell; committee of management, Messrs. R.J. Davies, jnr. (chairman), W. Freeman, T. Mitchell, R.J. Davies, senr., and R. Patterson ; hon. secretary, Mr. W. Forde. The committee has the laying down of a court well in hand, and expects to have the official opening performed on Boxing Day. The Brisbane Tug Co. Ltd., generously placed the land for the court at the disposal of the club. A fancy dress ball will be held at an early date to help the club financially.
Campers. - Given fine weather present indications point to a record number of campers to this popular island holiday resort. The boarding establishments report full bookings for Christmas.
source: The Brisbane Courier, Mon 18 Dec 1922, p. 10 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20590789