Mary Judith DARVALL
Service number: QF273914. Age: 18 years 5 months. Enlisted: 21 Jun 1945.
Occupation: Steno-Typiste. Next of kin: (father) Mr Guy Francis Darvall.
Address on enlistment: Bribie Island.
1946: Cpl. Judith Darvall A.W.A.S., whose engagement
to Engineer-Officer Harold Read is announced.
21 Jun 1945: Australian Women’s Army Service.
Served in regional New South Wales and Brisbane.
17 Sep 1946: Discharged.
Mary Judith Darvall (1927-2018) was born 13 Jan 1927 to Guy Francis Darvall (1876-1963) and Nell Sophia Asmus (1885-1957). The Darvall family had moved to Bribie by 1942 when they purchased Kyogle Flats on South Esplanade. In Sept 1942, Judith Darvall and her mother gained their First Aid Certificates.
After her military service, Mary Judith Darvall married Harold George Read in 1946. During the 1960s, Harold and Mary Read established the Billabong Park Horse Era Museum near Canberra to celebrate the role of horse-drawn transport in Australia’s history. In 2014 the National Museum of Australia’s exhibition ‘Spirited: Australia’s Horse Story’ commemorated their role in preserving relics of horse-drawn transport.
Mary Read (nee Darvall), aged 91, died 9 Feb 2018 in the Tweed Valley.