The Bongaree Heritage Trail signs record those few residents who, in 2005, were still living on Bribie Island after 50 years or more continuous residence. Each, in their own way, has made a lasting contribution to the island's community. Sally Brennan nee Herbert, Ted and Patricia Clayton, The Kling Family, Frank Lee, Betty Lougheed, Stella Ray, Ivan and Clare Tesch and Margo Whitney.
The following excerpt is from the Program for the Official unveiling "50 years on Bribie" Heritage Trail Sign, Wednesday 7 November 2007, Brennan Park, Bongaree.
Madeline (Margo) Whitney came to Bribie Island from Kingaroy with her family in 1918 at the age of six. Her father George Smith was involved in road construction works including the road from Bongaree to the ocean at Woorim, using cinders from the steamship Koopa. Her mother Louisa and the three daughters lived for a while in one of the “Twelve Apostle” huts and Margo was one of the first pupils enrolled at the new Bribie School. Her daughter, granddaughter and great grandchildren have since attended the same school.
During the war, Margo remained on the island providing essential services at local stores and the temporary hotel, which was relocated during the war from Woorim to Bongaree. After the war, she opened her own shop at Mac’s Corner on Third Avenue selling fruit, vegetables, poultry and fabric. In 1962 she opened the “Pretty Girl” frock salon in Toorbul Street and then in 1970 “Coast Casuals” in the new shopping block on First Avenue.
Margo lived for a time in the one isolated house on the left side of the road to Woorim. She was an active community member and was involved in many fund raising ventures. Margo was a founding member of the Bongaree Ladies Bowls Club in 1952. At the age of 92 in 2005, Margo had contributed much to the character and commercial development of Bribie Island over 87 years.