Motor launch to Bribie
1920s to 1950s
Through the 1920s to the 1950s small motor launches plied the Brisbane River offering excursions. Some were also licensed to carry passengers into Moreton Bay and onto islands like Peel Island, Stradbroke Island and Bribie Island.
One such vessel was the Nancy III. Her first owner was Mr Gould who sold her in 1927. Nancy III was built by Arthur White and her dimensions were 49ft long, with a 14ft beam and draught of 3ft 6in and licensed to carry 110 in River and 40 in Bay.
(F. Gould owner) regular flagship of the South Brisbane Sailing Club. ... The picture
shows her in the Milton Reach, following the club's opening skiff race last Saturday...
source: The Telegraph Sat 27 Sep 1924 p. 6
Unloading right on the beach at ?
source: State Library of Queensland neg. # 134186
on the Brisbane River
source: State Library of Queensland neg. # 178422
approaching the jetty at Amity Point
source: State Library of Queensland neg. # 52611
The Mirimar was built in 1934 and in the 1950s took over the Brisbane to Bribie Island via Redcliffe service from the Koopa.REFERENCES
Mirimar approaching Amity Point Jetty ?
Title: Mirimar (ship) Negative number: 52611
https://hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/71696 State Library of Queensland
Nancy III. [PICTURE] (F. Gould owner) regular flagship of the South Brisbane Sailing Club. ... The picture shows her in the Milton Reach, following the club's opening skiff race last Saturday... source: The Telegraph Sat 27 Sep 1924 p. 6 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article178659719
Nancy unloading right on the beach at ?
Title: Nancy (ship) Negative number: 134186
https://hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/22908 State Library of Queensland
South Brisbane Sailing Club ... The flagship Nancy will leave North Quay at 2.30 p.m. ... source: Daily Standard (Brisbane) Thu 21 Oct 1926 p. 12 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article181005249
Auction of the very fine Motor Launch Nancy III, length 49ft., beam 14ft., draught 3ft 6in ... licensed to carry 110 in River and 40 in Bay ... built by Arthur White ... source: The Brisbane Courier Sat 16 Jul 1927 p. 36 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21862429
Thirteen members of the Commercial Swimming Club visited Peel Island last week-end in the Nancy III. At daybreak on Sunday they got among the squire, and a good haul resulted. source: Sunday Mail (Brisbane) Sun 6 Nov 1927 p. 22 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article99925325
Title: Mirana (ship) Negative number: 178422
Title: Mirimar (ship) Negative number: 145262.
Summary: The Mirimar was built in 1934 and took over the service to Bribie Island via Redcliffe from the 'Koopa' and 'Doomba'. The Mirimar was taken over by the navy during World War II for use in the Brisbane and Moreton Bay region. (Description supplied with photograph)
Off for Day on Bribie. Boat trips attracted hundreds of Brisbane people who set out today to make the most of the fine King's Birthday holiday. This picture shows a happy party moving off down the river to spend the day on Bribie Island. Source: The Telegraph Mon 17 Jun 1946 p. 3 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article201334118
1951 EASTER - Easter rush amazes transport officials ... Almost 1,000 people, including hundreds who should have been work, went this morning in the pleasure boats Koopa and Mirana to Bribie Island and Stradbroke Islands. The Koopa will make a second trip tonight and three boats will run tonight to Stradbroke. source: Brisbane Telegraph Thu 22 Mar 1951 p. 1 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article212779955