The Bongaree Heritage Trail signs record those few residents who, in 2005, were still living on Bribie Island after 50 years or more continuous residence. Each, in their own way, has made a lasting contribution to the island's community. Sally Brennan nee Herbert, Ted and Patricia Clayton, The Kling Family, Frank Lee, Betty Lougheed, Stella Ray, Ivan and Clare Tesch and Margo Whitney.
The following excerpt is from the Program for the Official unveiling "50 years on Bribie" Heritage Trail Sign, Wednesday 7 November 2007, Brennan Park, Bongaree.
Ted and Patricia Clayton
Ted Clayton’s parents Ernie and Marion met on Bribie Island in the 1920's. They owned rental properties and lived most of their time here until 1984. Ted grew up in Brisbane but spent much of his early childhood on family holidays on Bribie, attending the primary school for periods during the 1940s.
|50 years on Bribie - 2005 - Ted and Patricia Clayton|
Photo: Barry Clark
In 1954, Ted married Patricia and they came to live on Bribie in a house Ted built on South Esplanade. As a carpenter Ted did contract building work and together they ran a bait and tackle store. Their family of three daughters and a son grew up on the island.
During the construction of the Bribie Island Bridge in the early 1960's Ted became General Foreman. Ted Clayton was also one of the Island’s most renowned fishermen and in 1970 started to write articles about fishing. He became a regular contributor and field editor for "Fishing World" for over 20 years. Ted’s articles about fishing around Bribie Island created nation-wide interest.
The Clayton family collected a large number of Aboriginal artefacts over more than 50 years residence on the Island. These have been gifted to the Queensland Museum. In 1990 Ted and Pat moved from South Esplanade, Bongaree to live a quieter life at Whitepatch.