The Bongaree Heritage Trail signs record those few residents who, in 2005, were still living on Bribie Island after 50 years or more continuous residence. Each, in their own way, has made a lasting contribution to the island's community. Sally Brennan nee Herbert, Ted and Patricia Clayton, The Kling Family, Frank Lee, Betty Lougheed, Stella Ray, Ivan and Clare Tesch and Margo Whitney.
The following excerpt is from the Program for the Official unveiling "50 years on Bribie" Heritage Trail Sign, Wednesday 7 November 2007, Brennan Park, Bongaree.
|50 years on Bribie - 2005 - Sally Brennan|
Photo: Barry Clark
In 1910, Sally’s father Fred Herbert worked on the oyster cutters, ferrying bags of oysters for Tripcony around Bribie Island. Sarah (Sally) Herbert was born in a hotel at Sandgate in 1920 where the family were the publicans. They later moved to other hotels in South East Queensland. They moved to Bribie in 1932 and then to Mt Mee in 1934. Sally married Bernie Brennan at Goondiwindi in 1940 and they settled on Bribie in 1941.
After the War in 1945, they opened “Brennan’s Store”, converting a small wooden house they purchased in Toorbul Street. This general store served the basic needs of the few residents and thousands of tourists and campers who came to the Island by boat at weekends and holidays. The foreshore at Bongaree was always covered with white canvas tents and the smell of campfires. The shop sold a wide variety of goods and produce and in 1958 became the Island’s first Golden Casket Lottery agency. In 1965 Brennan’s Store sold the winning first prize ticket to a local Bribie resident.
The three Brennan sons grew up on the Island but it was Sally and her late husband Bernie, who were involved in running the shop for a total of 33 years until 1978.
When camping was stopped on the foreshore in front of the shop, the beautiful tree lined area was named “Brennan Park” as a tribute to their many years of community service.