The following information and photos are sourced from Monument Australia
Bongaree Jetty Centenary Plaque,
Bongaree Jetty, Bribie Island
Commemorative bronze plaque on large stone at the end of the Bongaree Jetty, unveiled for the Jetty's centenary (1912-2012) in May 2012.
1912 - 2012
Centenary of Bongaree Jetty
Prior to 1900 few people visited Bribie Island, and without a jetty landing passengers was difficult. In 1912 the first jetty was built here as a private initiative by the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Co. to enable regular excursions from Brisbane.
Over the next 40 years many steamships, commencing with the purpose S. S. Koopa brought thousands of people on day trips and for camping & fishing holidays. Visits to Bribie Island became so popular that by the 1920s this jetty was enlarged to provide three passenger walkways.
In 1924 a road was built from the Jetty to Ocean Beach. The jetty has been refurbished many times over the years but continues to be a popular focal point.
Commemorating 100 years of the jetty`s service to the community
Bribie Island Historical Society