Saturday, 12 March 2016

Matthew Flinders Monument Bribie

The following information and photos are sourced from Monument Australia

Matthew Flinders Monument, Apex Park, Bongaree

Monument to explorer Matthew Flinders who landed in the area in 1799.

Front Inscription: 
Lt. Matthew Flinders entered Glasshouse Bay (now Moreton Bay) in H.M. Sloop "Norfolk"- and explored the bay and its environs in July, 1799. Pt. Skirmish was the name Flinders gave to a low sandy point on the Eastern side of the inlet to the Pumicestone River (Pumicestone Passage) where Flinders and his crew had a minor skirmish with the local Aboriginals.  

The erection of this monument is a result of a generous donation from Mr Douglas Jolly of Brisbane. 4th November, 1979.

The above photographs by Diane Watson were supplied to Monument Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment